Planning to Move? Contact USCIS!

Table of Contents

We know that moving can be hectic, but it is important to remember to update your address and contact information with USCIS.  When you update your information the system can make sure you receive notices or decisions on your case at your new address. If you filed an application or petition with USCIS but have not received a decision, reporting your new address to us is particularly important. Without your current mailing address, we are unable to send you notices about changes that could affect your application.

Most non-U.S. citizens must report a change of address within the United States or its territories within 10 days of their move. Exceptions include:

  • Diplomats (A visa holders);
  • Official government representatives to an international organization (G visa holders); and
  • Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the United States for fewer than 30 days.

In most cases, the fastest and easiest way to change your address is to do it online at Once you complete the form online, you’ll be able to change your address on any pending or recently approved applications. You can also receive a confirmation by email.

When you change your address online, we recommend that you have the following information available:

  • Your USCIS receipt number (if you have a pending application with USCIS);
  • Your new and old addresses;
  • Your family members’ names and biographical information (if you filed a petition for them); and
  • The date and the location you last entered the United States.

You also can call our toll-free number at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TTY). USCIS representatives will walk you through the process of changing your address. You can call on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time.

Share this Post!
Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Join our subscribers list to receive updates regularly

Other Interesting Blog Posts

Speak to an HR Business Partner Today