Onboarding is the process where new employees acquire the necessary tools, knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviors to become contributing members who make a tangible difference to the Organisation. An organization’s outlook to onboarding has a direct impact on employee performance, employee engagement and employee retention. Onboarding is critical for both the employee and the organization. Study shows that 90 percent of employees decide whether or not to continue with an organization within the first six months. Consider further that the cost of losing an employee in the first year is often at least three times their salary.
An effective onboarding program has a wide range of benefits for both the Organisation and the new hire. We list out a few:
- Builds the Company brand or image and increases brand referrals as an employer of quality, trust and integrity. This starts by first defining your brand, its tagline and being true and consistent with it throughout the onboarding process and thereafter.
- Onboarding helps the new hire clearly understand the new role in the company along with his/her duties and responsibilities.
- Faster integration of the new hire into the new organisational setup and increased productivity in his line of work.
- Provides clear knowledge of his team members, seniors, mentors in addition to organizational hierarchy and reporting structure of the company.
- Caters to the emotional and psychological needs of the employee, makes him comfortable with his surroundings and environment, eradicating any feelings of fear, intimidation or doubt.
- Facilitates social bonding, inter-personal connect, relationship building and networking.
- Get to understand the big picture and a brief overview of the company’s vision, mission, goals, philosophy, and objectives.
- Promotes a better understanding of the company culture with its shared values, beliefs, habits, attitudes along with accepted norms of behavior.
- Builds awareness about employee benefits and facilities offered to employees by the company.
- Encourages and enhances team bonding and and builds individual and group productivity.
- Assists employees in understanding the nitty gritties of everyday work life specifically in relation to working hours, flexi-timings, company discipline, dress code, conduct, over-time rules, employee complaints and grievances handling, career and growth opportunities, leave policy and performance appraisal.
- Reduces attrition, turnover of employees and increases employee engagement, motivation and retention.
- Accelerates pathway to growth, productivity and increased performance of the new hire and the organisation.